TIP OF THE WEEK
Looking to spend time away without spending a ton of money? Your wanderlust doesn’t have to directly compete with your desire to save. With a few smart tips and tricks, you can cut costs and make the most out of your trip.
1. Pre-pay your hotel stay and save: Plan ahead to get the best rates at hotels.
2. Shop and purchase tickets in advance: Consider researching tickets for museums, tours, amusement parks and other travel activities to see if advanced purchase discounts are available.
3. Create a balance between eating in and eating out: Other travel expenses beyond the hotel rate are also worth considering. The cost of dining out, particularly for a family, adds up. The convenience of having a fully equipped kitchen (with full-sized refrigerators) at your fingertips helps you save money and maintain healthy eating habits by creating home-cooked meals right in your hotel room
4. Bring along furry family members: Boarding pets or hiring a pet sitter can add up quickly. If your hotel is pet-friendly, that can be a big savings, plus Fluffy or Fido will be there with you making memories that last long after your trip has ended.
5. Focus on the essentials you’ll need during your stay: Other hotel necessities to seek out include free Wi-Fi with enhanced speeds, premium cable and on-premise laundry facilities so you can enjoy the comforts of home away from home — without any added costs.
6. Be flexible on timing: Weekend rates are typically higher than other days of the week, so consider adjusting your stay when possible or staying longer to take advantage of cheaper rates. Some hotels offer length-of-stay discounts, even during peak travel periods like school breaks and holidays.
7. Take advantage of other discounts and rewards: Hotels and attractions often have a variety of discounts available, so the simple step of asking could unleash hidden savings for seniors, military and government personnel, and even group rates. Even if you don’t qualify for a special category discount, look into hotel, restaurant and general rewards programs available to anyone.
According to Forbes, the world’s highest-paid actors for 2018 are:
1. George Clooney ($239 million)
2. Dwayne Johnson ($124 million)
3. Robert Downey Jr. ($81 million)
4. Chris Hemsworth ($64.5 million)
5. Jackie Chan ($45.5 million)
6. Will Smith ($42 million)
7. Akshay Kumar ($40.5 million)
8. Adam Sandler ($39.5 million)
9. Salman Khan ($38.5 million)
10. Chris Evans ($34 million)
NUMBER TO KNOW
$1 trillion: Online retail giant Amazon’s stock recently topped the $1 trillion value for the first time in the company’s history. Amazon became the second publicly traded company to surpass the $1 trillion value, following Apple.
— More Content Now
Google to help report child abuse images
Search engine giant Google recently announced it will launch a toolkit that will help with reporting child sex abuse images. The AI toolkit is designed to help organizations review vast amounts of child sex abuse material. The toolkit minimizes the need for human inspections by having the ability to flag previously undiscovered material. The kit is free to both corporate partners and non-governmental organizations through the Google Content Safety programming kit.
— More Content Now