Here are five ways to have fun this holiday weekend.
1. Since the Fourth of July is on a Tuesday this year, most Independence Day celebrations are starting this weekend. There should be plenty of festivals, parades, food events and the like taking place. Check out the paper for listings of when fireworks shows begin in your area.
2. If you want a non-holiday excuse to get out of the house this weekend, we suggest you plan a picnic. If you need a menu suggestion, you can’t go wrong with grilled hot dogs and ice cream (among other delights) – July is National Grilling Month, National Hot Dog Month and National Ice Cream Month.
3. This week’s big movies are “Despicable Me 3,” a PG film, starring Steve Carrell as the voice of both brothers, and “The House” rated R and starring Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler as parents who start an illegal casino in their basement after spending their daughter’s college fund; and acclaimed director Edgar Wright’s R-rated crime thriller “Baby Driver” about a young getaway driver who finds himself taking part in a heist doomed to fail.
4. The Wimbledon championships are already underway (you can watch them on ESPN) while the Tour de France starts rolling on Saturday. If you have a cable, you can watch the Tour de France live on NBC Sports and the NBC Sports Network but you’ll have to get up early as the broadcast starts around 7:30 AM ET..
5. It’s International Joke Day on Saturday so tell one of your favorites or try this easy one: What did the green grape say to the purple grape? “Oh my God, breathe!” For more ideas, checkout #InternationalJokeDay on social media sites like Twitter.
— More Content Now