How to attract hungry hummingbirds to your yard
According to the National Audubon Society, to sustain their supercharged metabolisms, hummingbirds must eat once every 10 to 15 minutes and visit between 1,000 and 2,000 flowers per day. When you provide a safe, reliable food source, it’s like putting out a welcome mat for hummingbirds.
Some flowering plants are particularly attractive to hummingbirds, like trumpet honeysuckle, bee balm and sage, says Cole’s. Try planting these in your yard, and hang a hummingbird feeder since it’s one of the most effective ways to consistently entice hummingbirds.
There is a proper way to clean your floor
Clean floors don’t need to translate to hour-long scrubbing sessions on your knees. Instead, it should take minimal work to get the job done and it shouldn’t matter what type of floor you have. Here are some tricks and tips from Rejuvenate to get your floors looking new and spotless in no time:
Laminate floors: Regularly vacuum or mop the floors with a multi-surface spray mop.
Linoleum floors: Vacuum them to prevent scratches and wipe up any spills as soon as they happen. Spray the floor in sections and wipe with a damp cloth.
Hardwood floors: Dust mop and vacuum daily. Depending on the amount of traffic or abuse the floor takes, consider a safe, non-toxic floor cleaner.
Tile and grout flooring: For stubborn stains, spray on a deep grout cleaner, let sit for a few minutes and scrub.
TIP OF THE WEEK
Simple tips for comfort and energy savings
These quick fixes will help homeowners save energy and stay comfortable all summer long, according to Lennox:
- Schedule an annual routine check-up for your heating and cooling equipment to keep the system running as efficiently as possible, and check the air filter each month to see if it needs to be replaced.
- Add extra insulation to the attic, which will help prevent your home’s heating and cooling system from having to work harder to regulate the indoor temperature during the hottest months of the year.
- Breathe easier this summer by installing a whole-home air purification system.
Smart consumer tips for sending flowers
For Americans, sending flowers to show love, caring and concern is a longstanding tradition appreciated by both givers and receivers. Consider these tips from 1-800-flowers.com when selecting fresh flowers for your loved one.
* Think ahead. Ordering online well ahead can offer you peace of mind and save you money by allowing the flower company to make the delivery a few days before or after a holiday.
* Know her favorites. Delight your loved one by finding out ahead of time which flowers she prefers, then contacting your florist ahead to ensure it can secure that variety.