TIP OF THE WEEK
5 tips to help keep pests from attending your backyard party
When you’re making memories surrounded by friends and family by the grill, the last thing you want to be doing is swatting and shooing away pests. With a few tips from Terminix, you can help keep your backyard the perfect place for all your celebrations.
1. Reduce standing water, which is a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
2. Inspect for wasp nests and contact a professional to remove them.
3. Keep outdoor surfaces clean. Mop up spills to avoid attracting pests like bees.
4. Choose clothes carefully. Bees are drawn to bright colors, so stick to un-patterned, muted colors.
5. Bring in the professionals. Some problems call for professional help, and pest control technicians can fight pests both inside and outside your home.
Ways to use Prince’s purple
In August 2017, the Pantone Color Institute came out with a purple hue, “Love Symbol #2,” in honor of Prince, based on the color of one of his Yamaha pianos. And www.craveonline.com recently offered 14 places that could use a pop of purple in your home:
1. Front door: A bold greeting to visitors.
2. One wall: Add a vibrant, but subtle, pop of color.
3. Sofa: Make it a centerpiece.
4. Bed: Add color to a vintage headboard.
5. Linens: Swap tame linens for a provocative shade.
6. Dresser: Make a statement.
7. Chairs: Spice up your eating area.
8. Curtains: Add a touch of elegance.
9. Bookshelf: Elevate a cheap bookshelf with a coat of paint.
10. Credenzas: Pair the purple with gold or bronze accents.
11. Stand table: Perk up the spot where you drop your keys.
12. End table: Add pizzazz to the living room.
13. Patio table: Take the hue outside.
14. Cupboards: Make over your kitchen.
Before you renovate, have you considered this?
Apply these tips from Luxaire during your home renovation.
* Finalize your goals. Don’t settle for a goal of simply improving your home. Decide if you’re trying to up the resale value, add more space, create a hobby area or finally build the bathroom you deserve.
* Determine if you need to update/replace core systems. You can replace your old, inefficient units with much more efficient ones.
* Set your budget. Many homeowners have no idea what a renovation project will cost and even if you do, unexpected expenses can appear very quickly. If you are working with a contractor, they should be able to give you a fairly accurate estimation of how much your project will cost.
Simple solutions for kitchen additions in mother-in-law suites
Redesigning your home with a mother-in-law suite for aging relatives can be a nice way to provide them everything they need and privacy for you both, according to Saniflo.
If you don’t have existing drainage, you can still remodel your kitchen without costly demolition. Add a modest kitchen setup using drain pump technology. It will pump wastewater away from a variety of sources such as a kitchen sink, laundry sink and washing machine.
Finish by adding easily accessible cabinets, low-maintenance countertops and no-slip flooring and you’ll have a functional space for relatives of any age.